Player uses RLM from Reprise Software for license management. This application includes a number of options for logging usage of the GIS-PAX licenses. For details on the full range of options, refer to the Reprise License Administration Manual.
There are several options in RLM GIS-PAX recommends to cover basic user logging. By default RLM will only keep only the last month of usage. You can extend this by modifying the gispax.opt file in the Reprise folder on the licenses sever. Add the following text:
# Specify the logging options
# Specify a timeout to automatically reclaim licenses
# If Player is unused for longer than this period the
# license is returned to the pool. Units are seconds.
This will append the logs (forever) but rotate the logfiles on a monthly basis (so they don’t get enormous). The timeout option will release any Player licenses after a specified period of inactivity. Be careful this is not made too short a period, otherwise your users will complain. However it is useful to return Player licenses that become disconnected due to ArcMap crashing. The value is in seconds; 7200 = 3 hours.
How TIMEOUT Works
When the Player extension is checked in ArcMap, a request to reserve a player4 license is sent to RLM. If there are player4 licenses available, a player4 license is reserved for that user/computer. While ArcMap is open and the Player extension is checked, a "heartbeat" is sent to RLM every couple of minutes. When the Player extension is unchecked, the player4 license is released immediately for that user/computer. Licenses are counted by the user/computer; so using Player in a second ArcMap session doesn't increase the number of player4 licenses reserved.
How does the TIMEOUT affect reserving/releasing player4 licenses? Consider these scenarios:
- Player extension is unchecked or ArcMap is closed with the Player extension checked. The player4 license is released immediately, TIMEOUT doesn't apply.
- The computer ArcMap/Player is running on either goes to sleep or is off the network. The TIMEOUT timer starts after several missed heartbeats. The player4 license is released after TIMEOUT seconds.
- Player is enabled when ArcMap crashes but the ArcMap.exe process continues to run on the computer. We refer to this as a "zombie" ArcMap process. Since it is running in the background, Player will continue to send the "heartbeat". TIMEOUT never occurs and the player4 license is only released if:
- The ArcMap.exe process is killed with Task Manager.
- Computer is rebooted or user logs out (killing the ArcMap.exe).
- The license is Removed in the Reprise License Server Administration website.