Applies to: Player 5.1 for ArcGIS Pro, Player 4.4 for ArcMap, Player 4.5 for ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro
Supported Platforms and Software Environment
Player is an extension to ArcGIS Desktop from Esri, running in either the ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro applications. It has the same system requirements and supports the same matrix of Supported platforms as Esri:
However, GIS-PAX only certifies Player for the following operating systems:
Windows 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise 64 bit
Esri also support ArcGIS Desktop running in various on-premise and cloud environments. Internally GIS-PAX uses VMWare Workstation and VMWare Fusion for development and testing of Player and Player for ArcSDE. Other platforms are expected to work, contact GIS-PAX Support for the latest support on these environments.
GIS-PAX certifies the following software releases of ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro:
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 up to 10.4.1
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 up to 10.5.1
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 up to 10.6.1
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 up to 10.7.1
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 up tp 10.8.1
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2 is NOT supported
- ArcGIS Pro 2.4 up to ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1 (also requires either ArcGIS ArcGIS Engine 10.4 or greater; or alternatively ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 or greater)
- ArcGIS Pro 3.0 is NOT currently supported but will be supported in an upcoming release.
Player 4.4/4.5 is an Extension/Add-In to ArcGIS Desktop, licensed separately through Esri. ArcGIS Desktop is available in three license levels: Basic, Standard, or Advanced. The complete Player workflow can be carried out using an ArcGIS Desktop Basic license except for:
- Player for ArcSDE – moving the Player database to an ArcSDE enterprise geodatabase and allowing geologists to do multi-user editing requires at least an ArcGIS Desktop Standard license.
- PlayPen – our functionality for working with raster dataset requires the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension.
- Player 4.5 for ArcGIS Pro – in addition to an ArcGIS Pro license (minimum Basic) Player requires an appropriate license for either ArcGIS ArcGIS Engine 10.4 or greater; or alternatively ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 of greater (more on this below).
- Player 4.x requires Office System Drivers from Microsoft to be installed to import data using Data connectors. Please see the following article for further information.
- DocLibrary preview uses the native preview capability in Windows. The following file types require:
- PDF documents - Adobe Reader
- Office documents – Office 2012 or greater
Enterprise geodatabase support
Player supports data in either an Esri file geodatabase or an ArcSDE geodatabase. You require additional licensing from GIS-PAX to access a Player geodatabase in ArcSDE.
As Player runs as an extension to ArcGIS Desktop/Pro it has the same system requirements and supports the same matrix of database platforms and versions. However GIS-PAX only certifies Oracle and SQL Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter 64 bit and Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter 64 bit:
Player 4.5 (Build 7485) has been tested with ArcSDE 10.5 on the following databases:
- Oracle Standard/Standard One/Enterprise editions:
- Oracle 12c R2 (64-bit) 126.96.36.199
- SQL Server editions:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (64-bit)
Player 4.5 for ArcGIS Pro still has a dependency on ArcObjects
Player 4.5 run from the same set of dlls for both ArcMap and Pro. This allows GIS-PAX to provide same functionality for geologists in both versions. GIS-PAX have committed to support Player 4.x for ArcMap until at least the end of 2022. Depending on how many of our customers have migrated to ArcGIS Pro, we will assess this decision and possibly extend this date.
This means Player 4.5 has a dependency on ArcObjects. If ArcGIS Desktop is not installed, the MSI installer and Player software tests if ArcGIS Engine is installed. If a supported version of ArcGIS Engine is available, Player can be installed and will run on ArcGIS Pro.
ArcGIS Engine is a separate component from Esri. There is no user interface, it is a set of libraries that supports the creation of GIS and mapping applications. To your Player users, they will only have ArcGIS Pro installed. ArcMap will not be installed/available. You can get more information below on ArcGIS Engine to understand its capabilities:
Player 5.1 for ArcGIS Pro requires Player 4.5 to be installed and therefore also required ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Engine to be installed.
Player 5.2 onwards is native to ArcGIS Pro and does not require ArcGIS Desktop.